[Mapbender-dev] Routing with Web Processing Service

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Thu Oct 26 08:41:03 EDT 2006

Petra Burmester wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are interested in OGC conform routing functionalities in Mapbender.
> Our first idea is the Web Processing Service. In the Mapbender-Wiki I've
> read that routing is planned for one of the next versions. What are your
> ideas to realize this? And is anybody already working on it?
>

> Kind regards
>
> Petra Burmester

Hi,
from what I know the routing part inside Mapbender is trivial and reduces to providing for "Start Address" and "End Address" boxes and sending the request to a PostgreSQL PostGIS box. I don't think that it will be helpful to exert OGC WPS as it is rather very generic and routing is a precise thing that can be implemented fairly straight forward. The power of routing lies in the details of the algorithms and even more so in the quality of the data.

Till Adams will know more details but he is currently abroad, he'll be back next week.

Best regards,
Arnulf.