[Mapbender-dev] OpenLayers integration

Sebastian Schmitz sebastian.schmitz at wheregroup.com
Thu Aug 23 03:57:30 EDT 2007

Hi,

for some time now there has been discussion about integration of
OpenLayers into Mapbender as map tool box. Discussion started last year
in September at FOSS4G in a meeting room in Lausanne. Interest was great
to do this and it seemed a good idea. Then nothing really happened.

The discussion has been revived recently through OGC expressing strong
interest for KML in Mapbender, so they included that within OWS-5. As
OpenLayers provides (basic) KML support already, the idea is to take
this opportunity and integrate OpenLayers into Mapbender and then do the
KML work within OpenLayers. Within OWS-5 other porjects will advance KML
support in OpenLayers (Mapbuilder, TOPP), which may/should/will become
the OpenSource KML library of choice.

Now, I am not really a developer and would like you devs to discuss
this, so we can decide on the issue. Do we want this? What are
advantages of having an independently maintained map toolbox. What are
pitfalls? How much effort will be required? Can we have a partial
integration? Can we not?

Cheers

Sebastian