AW: [Mapbender-dev] Reminder: Code Conventions

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Mon Jan 22 10:13:28 EST 2007

Hi,

I think the conventions Christoph has set up, make perfectly sense.
Even if it is a lot to follow ;-) but in the long run and with a
growing number of developers it is necessary.

I am a little bit confused about the discussion on compressed JS Code.
If I understand it correctly, this would mean there is a "source" or
raw JS code following the conventions of the packing routine (with
comments inline, correct semi-colons) that lives e.g. in the
repository, but a released version would use the compressed JS  (or
the JS is compressed on the fly). Is that the case?

Cheers, Michael

2007/1/22, Christoph Baudson (WhereGroup) <christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com>:
> Hello again,
>
> The conventions I came up with is what I got out of this book
>
> Code Complete, Second Edition (Steve McConnell)
>
> See http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0126.html for more information.
>
> I tried to compress the huge amount of information to a digestible size,
> with rules that are easy to understand and fast to learn.
>
> As I said before, it is a first draft, so if anybody has more sources,
> please add reviews to the wiki page and share your opinion on this list.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christoph
>

> Samson, Marko schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think, that the code conventions are a good thing to make developing more efficient and productive, after a therm of adjustment to the conventions. (@Cristoph:btw. are this standard php conventions? where did you get them from, or did you develop your own conventions?)
> >
> > But my opinion to comments is like Marcs. I don't think, that comments would be a great performance or filesize problem. (or did you have any problems by files, inflated by comments, in the past?)
> > Surely, there is no reason to comment every row. But I think, that a short description of a function (needless to say, that not every set and get function has to be commented), perhaps with some special problems or conditions and some special vars, would increase the productivity and double developing and uncontrolled function-groth in every module.
> >
> > As the Code Conventions say: performance is not a good reason to avoid commenting
> >

> > Gruß,
> > Marko
> >

> > Marko Samson
> > Landesbetrieb Wald und Holz NRW