[Mapbender-dev] using smarty template engine in sld?

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Fri Nov 16 11:22:58 EST 2007

Hi Devs,

I am currently investigating whether it could be useful for the sld
integration to use a template engine like smarty (smarty.php.net).

The main purpose is, that at the moment the HTML representation of the
sld object is rendered from information that is hard-coded in each
corresponding class (HTML-MArkup, JS, CSS). So we can use the SLD
machinery currently in form of the sld-editor. If we want to create
other, e.g. smaller sld manipulating modules, we would have to code
again lot of html to generate the needed forms.

The template engine could help us in a way of providing means to
define skins, that can then be used from the module to generate the
html interface it needs. The first and overall skin would thus be the
sld-Editor. If a module needs another skin it simply needs to define
the templates it needs (probably not all, when it exposes only a
subset of sld functionality) and can then call the general render
method with the skin name as an argument.

Smarty is realeased under the LGPL. Do you think it is a problem
having another class dependancy? Other pros or cons? Thanks for
sharing your thoughts.

Cheers, Michael

Michael Schulz
mschulz at webgis.de