[Mapbender-dev] Re: [Mapbender-users] Charset/coding problem: broken Umlaute with MB 2.4.2

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Fri Nov 23 08:09:46 EST 2007

Tilo Wütherich wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
>> the quickest and easiest way is to force your webserver to give out any
>> html from the mapbender-directory in iso 8859-1.
>
> the output is ok, but it's the search for words (wfs_gazetteer) with Umlaute that does not work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tilo

Hi,
the Umlaut-problem is somewhat more complex because it also depends on the encoding that has been defined for the WFS and the one defined for the database, data source or data store. The list of involved components can be quite long:

* Browser (Encoding it can be set manually - even for each frame individually!)
* Apache WebServer (overrides when no setting can be found in the HTML page header)
* OGC Service
** MapServer (don't know)
** GeoServer (can be set globally in the configuration)
* Database or Shapefile (individually)

I tried to put this into a context here:
http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/Encoding

This still needs to be worked over and extended!

Make sure that you know which components are involved and the most important is:
BE CONSISTENT!
BE CONSISTENT!
BE CONSISTENT!

Best regards,