[Mapbender-dev] Re: [Mapbender] #120: replace ["..."] with dot notation in JS

Marc Jansen jansen.marc at gmx.de
Wed Oct 17 03:05:17 EDT 2007

Hi Christoph,

first: I would be happy with both dot or bracket notation :-)

I was thinking about dynamically adding attributes:

var attrName = 'humpty';
var attrValue = 'dumpty';

var ordinaryObject1 = {};
ordinaryObject1[attrName] = attrValue;
// ordinaryObject1 is now {"humpty":"dumpty"}

var ordinaryObject2 = {};
ordinaryObject2.attrName = attrValue;
// ordinaryObject2 is now  {"attrName":"dumpty"}

And what about attributes starting with a number (perhaps not nice or
even allowed, I'm not sure):
ordinaryObject1["123test"] = 456;
// ordinaryObject1 is now {"humpty":"dumpty","123test":456}
ordinaryObject2.123test = 456; // fails

You said "square brackets indicate it's an array, but it really is an
object.".
Some might think so. Yet when there is an alphanumeric string following,
it should be clear that we are talking about an object.

As for JSlint, you are right and the same behaviour is found in the
Eclipse-Plugin Aptana (perhaps even in JSEclipse, not sure here)... they
all suggest using dot notation.

Maybe we should go with dots, and in the rare cases that we need the
functionality described above, change to brackets. Nice discussion
though. I wolud be interested in more opinions on this or are we just
"splitting hairs" on a total side-topic?

Just my two cents,

-- Marc