[Mapbender-dev] obsolete modules

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Mon Dec 8 06:48:42 EST 2008

Mapbender is delivered with a lot of application elements. I executed
this SQL in order to find out how many

    SELECT distinct e_id from gui_element where fkey_gui_id in ('gui',
'gui1', 'gui2', 'gui_digitize')

This resulted in 86 (!) elements.

We should limit the amount of modules to a manageable number. We should
have a slim set of core modules, in order to be more flexible.

I recommend the following steps

1) Delete all layout modules. They are no real modules, just some
graphics that give you the illusion of shadows. An easy decision in my
opinion

    DELETE FROM gui_element WHERE e_id ILIKE 'layout_%'

76 modules left.

2) Delete obsolete modules

* treeGDE_1

this is labeled as a synced treefolder: I think the ordinary treeGDE
element is synced as well.

* help1

I don't see a difference between this one and 'help'

* header_yellow

another layout element, deactivated in gui2

* print1

deactivated in gui1, identical to printPDF

* treeConfGDE

is part of gui1, but is an administration module. Should be deleted from
this application

* loadData

a deprecated way of storing data in Mapbender. Could be moved to source
(is also refered to in source code, so it would make sense). It could be
deleted from the source code once all elements using loadData have been
updated.

<iframe id='loadData' frameborder='0' src='../html/mod_blank.html'></iframe>

* rubberExt

Empty div with just a JavaScript file. It requires a non-existent
'setExtRequest'. In gui_digitize.

69 modules left.

I will send another mail with my plans for the remaining modules

Where2B-Konferenz
Die Geo-IT Konferenz der WhereGroup
vom 9.-10. Dezember 2008 in Bonn
Web: www.where2b-conference.com