[Mapbender-dev] Re: How to include license text?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu Jan 10 08:44:15 EST 2008

Michael Schulz wrote:
> Dear Arnulf,
>
> in yesterdays irc-meeting we were discussing if and how the header of
> each file should or must include the license text.
>
> Most participants favored a link to the license text, that would be
> inlcuded in the header in  phpDoc style:
>
> /**
>  * $Id: class_kml_point.php 1948 2008-01-03 16:35:29Z christoph $
>  *
>  * @link http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/class_kml_point.php
>  * @copyright 2002 CCGIS
>  * @license http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php
> */
>
> Should a link in the header point to a local file or to an URL (Marc
> suggested the URL of the original GPL v3). Both links should also be
> possible.
>
> Finally everyone wanted to hear the opinion of an expert (unanimous:
> Arnulf), whether there are legal implications that need to be
> respected.
>
> It would be great if you could comment on that issue.
>
> Cheers, Michael

Hello,
I have been out of the Mapbender context for some time, sorry for that. I will look into this issue and report back until the next IRC meeting.

As a side note: We started off as GPL V2 and should carefully consider whether we want to simply upgrade to V3 without any discussion. I would suggest to not add any explicit links to GPL V3 right now.

Best regards,
Arnulf.