[Mapbender-dev] Discussion: Character sets (client encoding)

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Wed Jul 16 10:33:22 EDT 2008

This is a proposal to serve UTF-8 encoded HTML pages only. In my opinion
there is no need to serve ISO-8859-1 pages.

All character set conversions (when interacting with a database) could
be done in PHP. So the architecture would change from

client: ISO/UTF8
server: UTF8
database: ISO/UTF8

client: ISO/UTF8
server: UTF8
database: ISO/UTF8

This will simplify things a lot and would make Mapbender less
error-prone. If anyone has any reason why we should still serve ISO
pages, please step up. I have no idea why we should.

Thanks,