[Mapbender-dev] Re: Google Summer of Code

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Fri Mar 28 10:49:40 EDT 2008

Len,

I really appreciate the time and work you have spent so far. Hopefully
your application will be successful. Please let me know if there is
anything else that I can do for you. I'm thrilled to hear that you are
applying to work on Mapbender.

I hope you don't mind that I cc this mail to the mapbender developer
list. Maybe someone has an insightful comment on your ideas.

Find my answers to your questions inline:

Len Kne schrieb:
> Christoph
>
> While working on the Web 2.0 styling sounds like a lot of fun, I am leaning
> towards proposing to work on the administrative modules; work on these
> modules would provide immediate help to our project as well.  I think back a
> year to when I first saw Mapbender's admin interface and how tough it was to
> figure out.  But as you said, once it is mastered, it works quite well.
>
> I wonder if Mapbender users can be divided into two groups.  The first group
> are the power users who create interfaces and want full control of all of
> the modules.  The other group of users want to have a couple set
> applications to choose from, but make some minor modifications, such as
> styling (colors) and maybe add or remove a module.  They may be using
> Mapbender as a service setup by a power user.  I think the GeoMOOSE project
> is trying to address the needs of this second group, although their
> administration module consists of using a text editor, which can be tough
> for the casual user.
>
> Thus a two tiered administration module could be helpful.  I guess that
> approach is already somewhat in place with the different administration
> modules.  My though is a tabbed approach where some of the basic settings
> are immediately accessible and the user would have to drill down further for
> more involved changes.  You had mention an application that would use a drag
> and drop approach to placing modules.  Having a frame with an example of
> what the GUI would look like while making configuration changes would be
> great.  This would be very helpful, but I have no idea how hard that would
> be to implement.  It seems like it could real affect the core of Mapbender.

I guess it would not be too hard. You would only have to deal with the
data model. For the client side, you could use jQuery-Plugins for Drag
and Drop. But this is just an idea and not required, however, it would
be an eye-catcher!

> I guess changes to the admin modules are likely going to have some affect on
> other modules.  For example, if there was an easy method to globally change
> a color scheme, different modules apply color style differently (element
> variables vs. style attributes in the div like navFrame).  Would it be
> necessary to make some of these modules consistent?

I guess you could pretty much create a single CSS file and use it for
all admin modules. What would be nice was, if some refactoring could be
done to the admin module scripts. Most are still "scripts", which means
that there is hardly any reusable code (classes). For example, there is
no PHP class for the entity "user". Having more reusable code would make
Mapbender more stable and easier to improve. Again, I would not require
you to do it.
> The logic of user management in Mapbender works well, some help with the
> interface would be helpful for the second group of casual users.  One change
> that would be helpful for our project would be to allow groups to be members
> of other groups.

This sounds promising. I would love to see that happen.

FOSSGIS Konferenz
Freie und Open Source Software für GIS
vom 01.-03. April 2008 in Freiburg
www.fossgis.de/