[Mapbender-dev] JSON RPC

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Thu Nov 6 10:41:19 EST 2008

Hello,

although Mapbender is wanting to move towards a RESTful architecture, I
fear it will not happen until a version 3.0.

In the meantime, I propose to use JSON RPC
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON-RPC) as the standard protocol to use
for internal client server interactions. It's very close to what we are
doing now.

Using a standardised exchange format will have the following advantages
* less error prone
* faster to implement AJAX code
* define standard error messages (example: session times out; then a
user clicks a button, an AJAX request is triggered; the server side
replies that the session is expired with a well defined error code;
client responds to the error code and displays a standard message. You
don't want to do this manually for each AJAX call)

I'm open to any other suggestions. I think using a wrapper is
inevitable. Please send your opinions and suggestions until Monday, Nov 10.

Thanks

Where2B-Konferenz
Die Geo-IT Konferenz der WhereGroup
vom 9.-10. Dezember 2008 in Bonn