[Mapbender-dev] GSoC CSW update

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Thu Apr 30 03:22:43 EDT 2009

Hi Mifan,

first of all, I have set up a Wiki page for your project here [0]. Let's
try to keep this page updated, and we will have a nice documentation at
the end of GSoC.

Yesterday we had an IRC meeting, you can find the log file on that page.
We ourselves are still in the progress of making up our minds, so please
don't be confused. We have planned another meeting in the 2nd or 3rd
week in May, this time face-to-face in Bonn.

The challenge in your project will be to implement a catalogue search
that works with CSW, but is also open towards extension. Yesterday we
called that "abstract catalogue service", which could be basically
anything that returns data. Armin Retterath, who is the mastermind
behind www.geoportal.rlp.de, for example, uses OpenSearch [1][2]. Maybe
take a look at this application.

Your proposal made sense to all participants, so I guess we will go
along as you planned, but the details have to be worked out.

Please don't misunderstand us meeting as a means to dictate what we
expect you to program. Your input and judgment is highly appreciated and
needed. We should talk about the project further during the next IRC
meeting [3]. Then you also get to know the developer team.

Officially, I'll be on holiday next week, but I guess I will be
available via IRC.

Any, questions, please ask.

Thanks

Christoph