[Mapbender_dev] Making WMS titles editable

Christoph Baudson (Wheregroup) christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Wed Aug 11 06:02:25 EDT 2010

In GUI WMS settings there is an input field for layer titles, but it
isn't used. I have made some changes [1] that would let the
administrator set the layer titles for each application. I think this is
a useful feature.

However, I wonder how to deal with the WMS title and the title of the
root layer. Currently, the WMS title is used in treeGDE, as well as in
the WMC. In my implementation, the title of the root layer is used.
Basically, it comes down to three scenarios

1) Always use WMS title
2) Always use root layer title
3) usage is context sensitive

Following Murphy's Law, I think the third scenario applies. When should
the WMS title be used, when the root layer title? I'm puzzled and need
input. I'm fine with my current implementation, please let me know if
you have a scenario where this behaviour is harmful. Otherwise I will
leave it this way.

Thanks for your input,

Christoph

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/mapbender/ticket/675