[Mapbender-dev] Applications in Mapbender 2.7

Christoph Baudson (Wheregroup) christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Tue Jan 26 05:40:17 EST 2010

We should think about which applications will be shipped with Mapbender
2.7. Here are my suggestions, please feel free to comment, I would like
to know your opinions.

First of all, i would like to deprecate gui2, as it was initially
intended to be a visually attractive application, but it never lived up
to that. I see no additional value in gui2.

We should get the applications gui, gui1, gui_digitize Themeroller-ready
before releasing 2.7.  We should also remove redundant modules from
these applications to make them stand out a little more (like removing
all non-WFS stuff from gui_digitize).

Ideally, someone would check the WMS containers and update them.

I would like to have the following new applications

* A very basic application with just a map (when creating your own app,
you could build on top of this)
* An application containing jQuery UI modules, like the demo at
telascience (could replace "gui" in the long run)
* An OpenLayers application, like the demo at telascience
* A new admin interface, like the one kmq built in GSoC 09. Should be
functional, but possibly with few features. Would be perfect if it
covered the most used dialogs (like load wms, edit gui wms, edit gui
elements) and you could actually work with it.
* A new interface where you can add yourself to the Mapbender user map
(The old app at mapbender.org should be replaced by this one).
* An application with an OpenStreetMap-WMS, new print module, and a
MeetingPoint module that returns a permalink and optionally twitters
your meeting point text as a geotagged tweet (spsneo and I are working
on this module).

These new applications should not have a lot of overlapping
functionality, they should be very tiny. Mapbender is a tool for
building applications, so we should show that it's easy to create apps
that have a distinct look, and are not just minor variations of gui.

The new apps could also serve as demos, maybe for mapbender.org. The
advantage would be that these demos would be maintained if they were
included in the release. If we no longer wanted a demo, we would just
remove it in a future release.

Creating these apps could be a goal for the next dev sprint. This
process could give users and devs an opportunity for dialogue, which
could improve Mapbender in general.

----------------------------------

Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte OpenSource-Schulungen