[Mapbender-dev] Proposed changed to Application/Element relation

Christoph Baudson (Wheregroup) christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Fri Jan 29 01:25:16 EST 2010

Yo,

I suggest the following changes to be made in the application/element
relation before the re-design of the "edit gui elements" dialogue takes
place.

(1) allow hierarchy of HTML elements

currently, all elements are added as children of the body. By allowing a
hierarchy, our markup would be more flexible.

Example:
- toolbar with a set of buttons (no need to position all buttons
absolutely). Toolbar could also have its own plugin like draggable,
resizable
- grid-like layout: the application could be divided in colums and rows.
This would make layout much easier for some apps. We could only add a
handle between the rows/colums to allow resizing both simultaneously

Currently, we would have to rearrange the DOM in JS, which is a waste of
client resources and error prone. Another upside is, this would be
backwards compatible.

(2) add a field for php file

the old design made sense for the classical php approach, where a php
file created JS code. Now, we almost exclusively use AJAX. Having the
server side listed would allow for better access control and possibly
more flexible configuration.

Again, this would be backwards compatible, but would require an
additional table to represent the parent / child relation.

I would love to have these features in the next version, but you know
me, I don't hurt because of bleeding edges. Please discuss,

----------------------------------

Aufwind durch Wissen!

Qualifizierte OpenSource-Schulungen
bei der www.foss-academy.eu