[Mapbender_dev] Mapbender 3 dialogue (status)

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Fri Oct 29 10:43:18 EDT 2010

Hi list,

in order to keep the dialogue going, I'm dumping my current state of mind.

Mapbender 3 will be a rewrite. The server side will be written in PHP.
It should rely on mature components wherever possible. It will have a
RESTful API.

I would suggest focusing on users and services first, and applications
later on. I'm not too sure about the client side of Mapbender 3, it will
have OpenLayers, but I'm not sure about the UI components. I think that
application administration is more sophisticated than service
administration, so I would like to address this issue later (next year).

One major issue is the rights management. Currently it's implemented
like this [1]. We should thoroughly evaluate other approaches, like a
file-system-like approach. We should write down the limitations of the
current model in order to find out what needs to be improved. Later I
would also like to discuss the concept of application inheritance.

I would like to have WMS conf objects, similar to WFS conf objects
(which should be renamed to "featuretype configuration"), and real
service containers (not applications). This will make cascading easier,
you could put a service container in an existing application. We would
also have an analogy to OWS: a WMS conf is again a WMS with its own
modified capabilities, and a service container is simply a WMC. We would
not have to worry about data formats here.

I have no real idea about the user interface of the administration. I
assume Karim would like to have them work without JavaScript, which I
would like to hear more about. The thing I know is that I want intuitive
administration interfaces, preferably with different profiles (like
novice or expert), so a novice can perform 80% of the task with 20% of
control elements. I would also like to have wizards, like "create your
own application": this could have a WMS upload/search interface first,
then a WMS configuration, and then the selection of an application template.

That's it for now, maybe comment or simply share your state of mind.

I also suggest a face to face meeting next week, here's the doodle [2]

Happy weekend, Christoph

[1] http://www.mapbender.org/Rights_Management
[2] http://www.doodle.com/8sh93zfcksze65bm

Where2B Konferenz 2010