[Mapbender_dev] Just an old thought on rewriting from scratch

Karim Malhas karim at malhas.de
Mon Apr 11 07:50:18 EDT 2011

Arnulf,

> One is, that our developer community is pretty disconnected to the
> outside world. I learned this lessen when hearing about MB3 specifics in
> a public event. As a member of the PSC this is somewhat strange, to
> express it mildly.

The community-focused approach to free sofware development seems to not
have benefitted the codebase of Mapbender much from what I can read in it,
and while I certainly value users and developers for their insights and
contributions, I can only repeat that I believe that the Code needs
serious improvement.

We (mainly this is Arash, Christian and me) have an idea of how to achive this,
namely using Symfony2/MapQuery, and we will very likely be the ones who
will implement this as the foundation of what MB3 will become.

Let me be perfectly honest: To me putting that decision before the PSC,
means asking the PSC to rubberstamp it.
And I don't mean that in a derogatory sense - I just don't see the PSC
deciding that - no, this is a bad idea we will do XYZ instead.

This does not mean that there is no room for suggestions and if you have
a good case for doing something else entirely I think everyone involved
will lend you their ear.

What it does mean, is that I think that having more discussion on what
and how to do things will be fruitless if there isn't at least a
prototype of which we can say "Look this is what we think would be a
good idea - come forth and critisize"

At least this is what I draw from "release early, release often".

Regards,
Karim