[Mapbender-users] Question about layer with own data (newbie!)

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Fri Nov 23 08:21:34 EST 2007

Hi Sascha,
as Marc suggested setting up your own service is the most best you can do.

BUT. It is not easy. Unfortunately it is not even remotely easy if you are not into this kind of service providing at all. All in this list will now think - Ah - but its not that difficult... :-)

Just decide for yourself:
If you are familiar with and already operate your own online presence and have a recent Apache up and running on a GNU/Linux distro like Debian or Ubuntu and you know how to manage a database (PostgreSQL with the extension PostGIS) then it is OK. But if that would be the case you wouldn't be asking us I guess...

If you can spend money then you can go to a service provider. You can find a list at OSGeo: http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile

If you cannot spend money and you don't know how to do it yourself you can try to find a volunteer that helps you organize your data into a telasciecne server operated by OSGeo. They are pretty fast, stable and free to use but there are many who want to use them and it is difficult to find people.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Arnulf.