Antw: Re: [Mapbender-users] Secure a WMS

Ronald Woita Ronald.Woita at rostock.de
Wed Dec 3 08:00:10 EST 2008

you can't use unix file permission, because the map-file is a parameter
of the mapserv(er) cgi.
And the cgi-script uses the webserver-user (wwwrun for apache)
permissions for file access. so if the webserver can work with the
mapfile,
anybody else can see it too (via http).

If I understand it in the correct manner, the ows-proxy only generates
a 'normal' getmap-request and if
WMS Server and Mapbender are installed on the same machine, this
request comes from localhost. So capsulate your
WMS (you have to do it, see above) and then give only localhost access
to these files by the apache configuration.
The only Problem- no one must know your local filesystem :-(

Ronald

> <FILES ows_map1>
>   order deny, allow
>   deny from all
>   allow from localhost
> </FILES>

Ronald

--
Ronald Woita
http://geoportal.rostock.de
email: ronald.woita at rostock.de
phone: +49 (0)381 - 381 6256

>>> loose at lwf.uni-muenchen.de 03.12.2008 13:27 >>>
Hello Ronald,

Thanks for your quick answer. Indeed I am using UMN Mapserver so my
question is the
related to that software.

The possibility to capsulate the map= parameter is nice to hide the
absolute path of the
mapfile, but can not be seen as a way to secure a wms, because a user
can call the wms
through the wrapper, too. The mapfile itself is not viewable from the
outside anyway.

To secure the WMS using the webserver configuration is a possibility if
I want to make the
wms accessible for certain IPs or networks only. In that case I  don't
need the owsproxy at all.
Am I wrong?

What I am looking for is a possibility to deny all direct accesses to
the WMS, but allow the access via the owsproxy only.
That way one could ensure that only verified users may use the
service.

What I thought of is a way to use the linux file permissions (user
/group) settings to achieve
that. But I am not clear ernough how that could work.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Johannes

Am 3 Dec 2008 um 12:39 hat Ronald Woita geschrieben:

http://www.mapbender.org/Kapseln_der_MapServer_Konfigurationsparameter