AW: [Mapbender-users] MB 2.5: Problems with legends in pdf-print using mapserver's agg

Schönhammer, Herbert Schoenhammer.Herbert at Regensburg.de
Wed Apr 29 08:56:37 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,
Hi list,

I'm back again with (nearly) the same problem ;-)

Now I've got a server, reachable from Internet. I wanted to build a gui for testing the troubles. But with some further trial and error I found a combination of mapserver/agg-parameters and mapbender-parameters which are avoiding the described problem.

But now I have another problem in printing the map (please see below !)

First things, which are doing right now:

In my MAPFILE I'm using now:
---------------------------
# 24 Bit Farbe
OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME 'AGGA'
  #MIMETYPE 'image/png'             <======= you MUST NOT use the MIMETYPE attribute !!!!
  DRIVER AGG/PNG
  EXTENSION PNG
  IMAGEMODE RGBA
END

LEGEND
  STATUS ON
  KEYSIZE 30 20
  KEYSPACING 10 5
    LABEL
     COLOR 0 0 0
     TYPE TRUETYPE
     FONT "verdana"
     SIZE 8
    END
  TRANSPARENT ON
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
END

In mapbender wms-gui settings I use:
-------------------------------------
"image/png; mode=24bit" for this wms

The result is
--------------
I have a map with good quality ON THE SCREEN, the legend ON THE SCREEN is okay (has transparent background)
AND THE LEGEND ON THE PRINT IS OKAY NOW (the legend has also a transparent background).

The new problem is:
-------------------
Now the quality in the MAP of the print is poor. It seems, that the print-module is ignoring the mapbender-setting "image/png; mode=24bit".

In detail:

In mb_log the following request is logged as request for printing (I have replaced ' ' through '%20' because the server is online; you may try the requests !!):
http://stadtplan2.regensburg.de/cgi-bin/getows?map=/cityportal-maps/rgb_printtest-agg24.map&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&LAYERS=strassenachsen&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG:31468&BBOX=4506700.1038532015,5431380.99999632,4506868.999796765,5431617.833858754&WIDTH=1780&HEIGHT=2496&FORMAT=image/png;%20mode=24bit&BGCOLOR=0xffffff&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd.ogc.se_inimage

The request above delivers the correct image with good quality in 24bit color.

But in webservers-log all requests for printing DO NOT use the "image/png; mode=24bit". They only use "image/png". The corresponding line in apache-log is:
192.168.2.16 - - [29/Apr/2009:14:03:13 +0200] "GET /cgi-bin/getows?map=/cityportal-maps/rgb_printtest-agg24.map&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&LAYERS=strassenachsen&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG:31468&BBOX=4506700.1038532015,5431380.99999632,4506868.999796765,5431617.833858754&WIDTH=1780&HEIGHT=2496&FORMAT=image/png&BGCOLOR=0xffffff&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd.ogc.se_inimage HTTP/1.0" 200 37121 "-" "-"

for trying: http://stadtplan2.regensburg.de/cgi-bin/getows?map=/cityportal-maps/rgb_printtest-agg24.map&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&LAYERS=strassenachsen&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG:31468&BBOX=4506700.1038532015,5431380.99999632,4506868.999796765,5431617.833858754&WIDTH=1780&HEIGHT=2496&FORMAT=image/png&BGCOLOR=0xffffff&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd.ogc.se_inimage

The request above delivers poor quality in 8bit color, which is used for printing !!!

Obviously the logged map-request in mb_log differs from the map-requests sent to the webserver  !?!?!

Tipps for me ?
--------------
Does anybody know where
- the map-requests for printing are created ?
- the map-requests for logging are created ?
- the getlegendgraphic-requests for printing are created ?

How to ensure, that the mapbender settings for mapformat are also used for printing ?

I'm using MB 2.5 !!

(If you want to make your own trials, this gui is now online for testing:
http://stadtplan2.regensburg.de/mb25/frames/login.php?name=stadtplan&password=stadtplan&mb_user_myGui=Printtest )

Thanks a lot
greetings
Herbert