[Mapbender-users] Support for ISO-8859-1 and MySQL will be dropped

Thomas Baschetti info at thomas-baschetti.de
Thu Oct 1 15:14:12 EDT 2009

Hi,

=== english, german version follows/deutsche Version unten ===

on our devsprint in Essen last weekend we decided to drop support for
ISO-8859-1 encoding, UTF-8 should be sufficient for all installations
and is standard on modern Linux and Windows-Systems. Furthermore
ISO-Encoding is not working correctly in modern Mapbender Versions.

We also decided to drop support for MySQL as mapbender as none of
the developer know of any working installation. Porting to MySQL is
getting more and more time consuming and error-prone, so not doing
it is a logical consequence.

When there is really demand in support for mysql and other databases
(Oracle, MS-SQL) there is the possibility to port the complete
database-layer to php_pdo, but this would need funding.