[mapguide-dev] Enhanced Join Support RFC

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Nov 3 18:21:07 EST 2006

Overall, I like this proposal.  I think that the 1:many support is probably a good first step.  It makes it easier to query secondary data sources and return geometry.

However, it is really just a right outer join, and does not provide for some of the most common map operations that will be required with 1:Many relationships.

In particular, it will not be able to support maptips (display all owners for a parcel), queries (only show properties with more than one service connection) and theming (color ramp based on number of calls for service)

I think that this would be best dealt with in two ways.  First, I would like to see an option to return a single geometry row, with a nested rowset representing the "Many" records.  Second, I would like to see the option to return a single geometry row along with some basic aggregate (sum, min, max, mean, group_concat) and search (contains) results, essentially acting as a GROUP BY operator on the root geometry.  These could even be combined, allowing both the aggregate functions and the nested results to be returned.

I understand that this is a big request, but I thought I'd reiterate it here.  It was discussed in IRC after the last meeting, but I don't have the logs.

I also have a question about why spatial and aspatial data sources are so segregated in Studio.  I may just be a bit fuzzy, but is it possible to join a secondary table in an SDF file to a primary table in the same SDF file?  In another SDF file?

Jason