[mapguide-dev] Enhanced Join Support RFC

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Nov 3 18:43:02 EST 2006

It is also useful in cases with RDBMS where you don't have control over the schema.  For instance, in the case of a third-party land information system where your support contract does not allow you to make changes.

There is also the case where you are joining across RDBMS providers, for instance between my parcels which are stored in Oracle SE, and my land data which is stored in MS SQL.  In some cases, these might even be two Oracle instances/schemas where I don't have rights to link the two or create cross-schema joins.  More commonly, there might be a SHP or SDF file that needs to be linked to an external RDBMS (which seems to be the primary case that Studio was designed for) or another file-based source.

I do like the idea of seeing this implemented at the FDO level, as it will likely be more efficient, and will be usable by all clients without having to re-implement.  It's about data after all.

In either case, it sounds like a bit of a UI nightmare...

Jason