[mapguide-internals] FW: [fdo-users] General FDO queries

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Apr 11 12:32:27 EDT 2007

Anybody care to comment on how to configure WMS overrides in MapGuide --
is it even possible?

From: Jason Birch
To: fdo-users at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: RE: [fdo-users] General FDO queries

Hi Chris,

To my knowledge, the FDO installed with Studio is not used for
interacting with the server.  It's there for creating packages and has
no relationship with the providers dialog.  Unfortunately, Studio's
dialog mechanism is proprietary and there is no known API for creating
or extending them.  You can disable the use of the dialog (reverting to
a generic FDO dialog box) by commenting out the appropriate section of
ProviderEditorMap.xml.  However, this only affects the connection
dialog, and it looks like you're wanting the behaviour of the Layer
Editor to change.

As far as the XML configuration file goes, have a look in the UnitTest
directory for some examples.  They seem to cover most of your comments.

http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/browser/trunk/Providers/WMS/Src/UnitTest

The schema for this file appears to be here:

http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/browser/trunk/Providers/WMS/Docs/XmlSchema

I'm not sure how these would be referenced in MapGuide; perhaps they
could be uploaded as ResourceContent?

It seems like most of the limitations that you're seeing are with
Studio's ability to configure the WMS provider rather than with the
provider itself.  If those XML files can be read as ResourceContent,
then you should be able to disable the Studio dialog for WMS, upload the
content through the generic UI, and be off to the races with multi-layer
sources, transparency, etc, etc.

Then we'll just have to wait for Studio to catch up with the
capabilities of the WMS provider, or add some custom dialogs to Web
Studio to support these additional items.