[mapguide-internals] PSC Meeting Actions and Transcript are Posted

Mike Adair madair at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Aug 9 10:54:02 EDT 2007

Perhaps I can take a stab at this while Paul is away on vacation and I
am currently working on this.  It's also a good opportunity to introduce
myself to the list.

Fusion will use OpenLayers for rendering maps and OL event handling on
the map.  This means that Fusion will be able to support all the layer
types supported by OL, which are many, both tiled and untiled.  It
should also be able to support vector rendering and editing once OL
supports that.  I've created a MapGuide OL layer type, but that may or
may not make it back to the OL trunk because the MapGuide service is
somewhat stateful and requires server-side scripts, whereas OL is
entirely client-side.  Passing a session parameter around is ok, but it
would be great if you could add an interface to create a MgMap object,
that would help out with this issue.

The existing Fusion widgets and controls will continue to be used, and
just hook into the OL events on the Map div.  (You can probably also use
OL controls but I'm not currently planning on testing that.)  This means
that styling and layout of the apps will continue to use  JX layout and
CSS files.

It will also mean that Fusion should be able to support multiple layers
in a Map: eg. a MapGuide base layer combined with WMS overlay, combined
with a GeoRSS layer on top of that.  However this will require some
changes to a WebLayout document, that will likely be non-backwards
compatible.  We are currently working on what that document will look like.

Hope that answers some of your questions,  let me know if you have any
others.

Mike Adair