[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 42 - Remove Support Servers

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 20:23:58 EST 2007

"Load balanced site servers provide better scalability and easier
setup than separate site
and support servers. Furthermore, the site and support server concept
is confusing for the user base."

How will this affect server admin?.... the support server (calling it
a Render Slave makes a lot more sense) approach
means you only need to maintain and update one repository.

Having to maintain 6 site servers instead of 5 support servers and one
site server sounds like a backward step
in terms of maintainability.

Renaming the support servers to something that provides more insight
into their function would be a good step.

Also the RFC Title should specify that this is only at the MapGuide
Site Administrator level

ie "Remove Support Servers from MapGuide Site Administrator"

Regards

Zac

On Dec 6, 2007 11:40 AM, Trevor Wekel <trevor.wekel at autodesk.com> wrote:
> I would like to submit "MapGuide RFC 42 - Remove Support Servers" to the list for review and comment.  Please send your comments/concerns back to the list and I will respond.
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc42
>
> Thanks,
> Trevor Wekel

Zac Spitzer -