[mapguide-internals] Release of MGOS 1.2.0

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Jun 22 00:03:53 EDT 2007

Well...  :)
I guess I'm a +0 as long as we have a story for raster stability.  If I have to go to a +1 to pass it I will (do we have enough voters?), but I'm not especially enthusiastic about it.  My fear is that we end up with a worst case (1.2.1 is not feasible) and some of the problems require changes in the MapGuide source.
I think part of my lack of enthusiasm can be attributed to the public communication levels I've felt over the last month or so.  It's a bit like waiting for a locomotive in a dark tunnel.  It's OK to a certain extent, because the train is super cool and going to some really exciting places, but it still makes me nervous. ;)
I think that we need to look at how reliant we are on your internal infrastructure to build and package release versions of MGOS.  We're already highly reliant on your development efforts (duh) but this is something that I might actually be able to do something about.  If I manage to stop over-commiting myself, I'm going to start investigating packagers like NSIS.  I have InstallShield at work, but I'd hate to not be able to share the configuration in any kind of useful way.
I'd also really like to take Mateusz and Helio up on their offers to help with continuous builds (buildbot -- maybe it could give us nightly snapshots too?) and a more flexible build system (cmake) respectively.  I'm not sure that we would be able to pull these efforts together in time for 1.3, but that sure would be nice.
>From your perspective, is it a non-starter to embark on a process that will likely end up creating a divergence between the way that MGOS and MGE are packaged and installed?  A professionally built installer package could be part of your value proposition I guess... :)
I hope this doesn't come off as too much of a rant.  I remain ultra-commited to the MGOS project, I just have some concerns.


From: mapguide-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org on behalf of Tom Fukushima
Sent: Thu 2007-06-21 4:51 PM
To: MapGuide Internals Mail List
Subject: RE: [mapguide-internals] Release of MGOS 1.2.0

OK, but who's going to commit to creating the 1.2.1 release.  Although,
I think the chances are pretty good that we could squeeze one in if
required, I can't guarantee that we will do one. It looks like Bruce and
I are just doing some risk mitigation here: best case a 1.2.1 release,
worst case a patched DLL.

So you approving 1.2.0 or not? :)


More information about the mapguide-internals mailing list