[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 18 - Localization

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 7 15:36:27 EST 2007

Bill Dhimitri wrote:
> Traian,
>
> Not sure what you are asking.  Maybe it's something about this:
>
> I think the idea is to call setlocale with some string.  This will set
> the process-wide locale.  So it affects any methods (process-wide) that
> use locale (e.g. printf).  That list of methods is dependent on the
> "category" that is passed in to setlocale (LC_NUMERIC, LC_COLLATE,
> LC_MONETARY, etc.). Maybe the RFC could be clearer on which category
> will be affected.
>
> It's possible that there is code in the process (maybe FDO code) that
> uses methods that are not affected by setlocale (i.e. methods that
> always yield non-localized results).

Folks,

I would like to encourage *not* setting LC_NUMERIC as it will often break
libraries that mapguide and fdo depend on, such as GDAL and PROJ.  I'm
working on making GDAL safer in the face of odd numeric locales, but at
the very best it will still be dangerous and will break some format
drivers, and services.

PROJ is also distinctly not numeric locale safe, though I will try and
address this too sooner or later.

Best regards,