[mapguide-internals] RE: [mapguide-users]GoodDevelopment Environment for MGOS

Trevor Wekel trevor.wekel at autodesk.com
Wed Mar 7 18:15:44 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

As Bob mentioned, it is possible to write enhancements/additions to the
Java API with some SWIG/IMake customization.  From an implementation
perspective, here's where we stand:

<cut/paste from below>
The wrapper library does not follow standard java conventions.
Specifically:
- method names start with upper case letters.
MapGuide would have to support both signatures for backward
compatibility.  This is possible with some modifications to the C/C++
SWIG/IMake generation code

- everything throws a checked Exception
I'm a little confused by this statement.  Yes.  Most APIs do throw
exceptions.  Is the issue that fact that we throw exceptions, or is it
that we do not throw the right type of exception?  If it's just the type
of exception, then it should be straightforward to change it.

- MGOS collection classes don't extend the java collection classes
With a little C/C++ work and some custom wrapping code written in Java,
this should be possible as well.  You could also add support for Java
properties, ie. mgColor.getRed instead of mgColor.GetRed().  The C++
class headers already have tags to support this.

If anyone wants to get their hands dirty and is really interested in
this as a pet project, I would be willing to give you some pointers on
where to start.  We already have .Net customization working so Java
customization should be able to follow the same mechanisms.