[mapguide-internals] Request for submission

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Mar 28 08:25:38 EDT 2007

Tom,

The example you gave below would be useful to see both in the defect
and on the mailing list.  One way is to put the traffic on the
mailing list and then copy the appropriate info to the defect.  I
think this is quite possibly error prone because it relies on human
intervention (actually going to trac, finding the ticket, copying the
comment) and interpretation (is this really useful to put on the
ticket? nah, I'll remember that).

Looking in Trac, I see 10 open issues (3 submitted by me!).  I highly
doubt that the amount of traffic coming from these tickets is going
to overwhelm anyone, especially if the traffic is mostly discussion
that would have happened on the list anyway.  I doubt this would
result in more than 1 email per day on average, probably 1 a week.

So the suggestions on the table are:

1) status quo, we don't change anything and no-one on the internals
list will know about new tickets unless they go look

2) modify trac to cc mapguide-internals, the list will get emails for
everything that happens on all tickets

3) modify trac to cc a new mailing list (mapguide-tickets?) to which
only those who are interested can subscribe

4) modify trac to set mapguide-internals as the default owner of new
tickets.  The list will get traffic on the ticket until it gets
assigned to someone specific to deal with it, at which point people
can cc themselves on the issue if they are interested in following it

5) some combination of 4 and 2) or 3)

I would like to see option 4) and option 3) implemented
simultaneously but I could live with either or option 2).  As long as
my email inbox fills up ...

For patches submitted from the wild, we can encourage them to file a
ticket in trac.  Any discussion related to the patch should (IMO) go
in the ticket and to the list (automagically) until the patch has
been accepted or rejected.  If we go with 4), mapguide-internals
would stay the owner until the patch had been discussed and then
would be assigned to whoever wants to take responsibility for it.
Further discussion can safely happen on the ticket after the change
because anyone who is interested can cc themselves.

What I would like to avoid is the situation where you are looking at
a ticket with a patch two months after it was submitted and think to
yourself "someone said something about these 5 lines of code and I
can't find it anywhere," or you forget the conversation ever took
place.  I am personally lazy and forgetful.  Any system that requires
me to do more than the minimum will ultimately fail for me ... and I
have a theory on human nature that indicates I'm not the only one ;)

Cheers

Paul

On 28-Mar-07, at 12:43 AM, Tom Fukushima wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some more thoughts...
>
> The way I see things working: if someone without commit rights has a
> patch to submit, they attach the patch to the ticket and send a
> note to
> mapguide-internals that a patch has been submitted.  A committer picks
> up the patch, reviews it and sends any feedback to mapguide-internals.
> If the patch needs rework this process is repeated.
>
> To say what I was trying to say in my previous email differently: I
> don't think that it makes sense to put feedback such as "did you
> consider using method abc to replace the five lines in method y" in
> the
> trac defect; this is globally useful information and everyone
> should see
> it.

This is where I disagree ... when you go to apply the patch, you then
have to go looking for the related email (if you remember it
happened).  By cc'ing the list, the info goes into the ticket where
it can be easily be found when the ticket is actioned and goes to the
list for general information.