[mapguide-internals] MGOS 1.2 Beta 2 GDAL and JPEG2000

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 25 10:31:44 EDT 2007

Andy Morsell wrote:
> Hi all,
> Should the GDAL provider support JPEG2000 images "out of the box" or is
> there additional work that would need to be done?  My preliminary test with
> some recent imagery for a client would indicate that it's not currently
> supported, but I am hoping for otherwise.

Andy,

There is no JPEG2000 support in the default GDAL build.  But either the
MrSID or ECW plugins will co-incidentally provide JPEG2000 support as well.

There are actually four JPEG2000 drivers available for GDAL.  Ones based
on the ECW SDK, the MrSID SDK, the JasPer open source library (poor
performance), and the proprietary Kakadu library.

Any of the ECW, MrSID or Kakadu implementation should perform fairly well,
though the Kakadu based on is likely the most carefully tuned.

Best regards,