[mapguide-internals] MapStudio OS

Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Wed Oct 3 11:40:04 EDT 2007

Well, if the project is adopted by the MapGuide Open Source, it will be
subjected to the PSC's rulings.
So, that would give the PSC full control of the project. As always,
source code contributions tend to bend the votes, and that will be my
influence.

I want the product to extensible, so that thirdparty developers can
integrate their designers into the product.
Ea., let the Fusion guys develop a designer and supply an integrated
application that can edit the entire solution.
I know that many of the companies using mapguide have created
specialized application frameworks and management applications for their
extensions.
I would like these companies to be able to supply a fully integrated
application for managing their solution.

This will also open the door for a better user experience, ea. if
someone builds a custom King.Oracle FeatureSource editor, or PostGIS editor.

I also want the product to follow the MGOS development more closely, so
that new cool features can be edited and tried out by plug-in editors,
without waiting for the Autodesk release cycle.

My motivation for trying to get the project into the MGOS is to share
the great community, bug tracker, wiki and so on.

And then I think there is a real need for this project, as it is
virtually impossible to use MapGuide without a GUI editor.
WebStudio is nice, and the idea of a Web Application is great for that
"once-in-a-while" task, but working an entire day with a web interface
really gets on my nerves.

Other than that, I don't have any plans as such.
Was that the info you were looking for?

As for the MapStudio UI, I will try to rework the interface, simply by
looking at what actions needs to be done where.
But having seen MapGuide Studio, I am a bit biased as to how it should be.

Regards, Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S