[mapguide-internals] Selection is slower than expected

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Sep 5 08:20:52 EDT 2007

Kenneth,

this is probably a good idea.  I think it would need to use a PNG24
with alpha channel so that the selection image doesn't obscure
things, but this raises potential problems (for which there are known
hacks) for Internet Explorer.  If we forgo transparency in the actual
selected area, then it may work without hacks - but then you would
lose anti-aliasing of the selection polygon.

The GETDYNAMICOVERLAYMAP operation already produces something with
transparency for overlaying on tiles.  A similar operation could be
created, GETDYNAMICOVERLAYSELECTION perhaps, that just draws the
selection.  I would hope that would be fairly straightforward -
although I don't think you can do it with the web tier scripting APIs
as is.

I guess this is what the DWF viewer has an advantage over the AJAX
viewer - client side selection.

Cheers

Paul