[mapguide-internals] Discuss: RFC 48 - MapStudio Open Source

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Apr 25 11:23:19 EDT 2008

I like Maestro because of its cultural connections to "Composer" and also because in Italian it means something like "Master" :)

I haven't been able to think of anything that is both artistic and conveys what the app does.  Designer (as Ivan suggested) would convey the functional aspect, but a bit too well for my taste.

At the API level, I think a functional name may be better, but I can't think of how to do this without constraining the API or causing confusion with the core APIs.

Anyway, it's your call Kenneth.  I think that we're about ready for a vote once you decide on a name (or to leave it as it is).

What I'd love to see over time would be the improvements you've made to the Swig bindings incorporated into the core .Net API build, if that's in any way possible.

Jason

From: Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S
Subject: Re: [mapguide-internals] Discuss: RFC 48 - MapStudio Open Source

Too bad, I liked "MapGuide Composer" :(.

"MapGuide Maestro" sounds unique, but it does not quite tell what it does.
But it is better than MapStudio, and causes less confusion.

As for the .Net API, I also tend to come up with MapGuideManagedAPI, but
that is not an improvement.
"MaestroAPI" might be better.