[mapguide-internals] Making DWF viewer feature selection behave like Ajax viewer selection

Carl Jokl carl.jokl at keynetix.com
Fri Jul 18 03:59:15 EDT 2008

I am currently working on a map guide enterprise framework library for use
within my company and am currently fixing issues relating do difference in
behaviour between the Ajax viewer and the DWF viewer. The framework will
need to be able to work consistently with both.

I currently have a problem with selection because the Ajax viewer handles
feature selection on the server side where the DWF viewer holds selection
state on the client side. I know that in order to deal with selection on the
server the client selection needs to be sent from the client to the server
prior to performing any operation that needs it. I note that from what I
have been able to see the MgSelection object seems to depend on a resource
[map name].Selection stored in the session. My though was to take the client
selection and use the resource manager to store appropriate selection xml in
the resource repository the MgSelection object expects to find. So far this
has not worked properly. I have the client selection being posted to the
server successfully as part of the request which needs to deal with
selection. I have stored that in the location which the MgSelection looks
for it. From what I can see though the xml layout of the expected server
selection xml is not the same as the client selection xml meaning I may need
to convert it. In order to give me a better idea of how the server selection
xml should look I have a mechanism of dumping the contents of the selection
resource when using the Ajax viewer to see what is there. The problem is
that whenever I have done this I have found the body of the document always
to be empty i.e. <Selection></Selection>. This has put into question whether
this selection resource is generated the way I expect it to be. I wonder if
the resource gets built after the creation of the MgSelection object but
before the MgSelection.Open call. I am wondering if what I am trying to do
i.e. fake ajax view selection for the MgSelection object when using the dwf
viewer the way I am trying to do it is even possible at all. If it is not it
would be good to find that out before spending too much time trying to do
it.