[mapguide-internals] Dynamic tile rendering proposal

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Thu Jul 31 09:02:53 EDT 2008

As I understand meta tiling, it works by creating a larger image than
the one requested (smaller),
in anticipation of requests to similar/adjacent (smaller) images.

In a sense, that is what I want, but I would request the larger image,
and retrieve the sub-tiles.
Unlike meta-tiling, the purpose of this feature is not to create extra
data in advance,
but rather serve a large image in smaller chunks.

If the server renders the entire image and just hands out the smaller
images, I would not
expect the percieved transmission time to diminish, as the crucial part
is the time that goes
before the initial image is displayed.

 From a users perspective, a long but visible progress, is better than a
shorter uncertain wait.