[mapguide-internals] Annual Report

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Mon Mar 3 15:02:36 EST 2008

That looks good.  Just a few thoughts:

- Regarding the lack of contributors to the core project: I do not know if
this is typical or these types or projects or not, but it seems like most
people involved in the project are of the user or administrator skill level
with very few qualified or able to do the lower-level programming necessary
to make contributions to the core.  I know that I fall into this
category....

- Regarding contributions to the help and documentation: I do not know if
anyone looked at Jim O'Leary's online "MapGuide Manual" but it may be a good
starting point for beginners.  If we are interested, we can probably
convince Jim to let this reside on the OSGeo Wiki.  I can ping him to see if
he would be interested in this or not.  The site is:
http://techearth.net/gis/mapguideManual/index.php5?title=MapGuide_Manual

- I completely agree that the FDO and Linux build process remains too
difficult.  I speak as someone who has some experience with this.  I have
spent about 25 hours (thankfully billable to a client) trying to get MGOS 2
running on CentOS and am just now starting to get close to it working.  I
could have had this working on Windows in about an hour.....  An FGS package
(or RPM's) would  be outstanding.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com