[mapguide-internals] MapGuide Open Source 2.1 - where is the continuous integration system ????

UV uvwild at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 07:55:46 EST 2008

Continuous Integration System
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_Integration>a term formed by
Martin Fowler
<http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html>

This mail brings up the demand for a proper build environment to support
the community.
In a complex project like this a continuous integration system
consisting of at least a linux and a windows build machine
plus maybe some extra machines running tests seems to be appropriate.
This only requires standard off -the-shelf hardware so we are only
talking about a small hardware budget.

Regarding the current shortcomings in configuration management and
stability of the subversion repository
I am sure that an automated build system would be a major step forward
as it forces some extra and useful discipline on
checking in only functional code into the respository (e.g. creating
locks during major code changes).
This way the state of each build configuration can be tracked continuously
and users have an opportunity to access stable snapshots of the source tree.

I had the opportunity to set up and use such a system for a project as
an architect in an international corporation and  I would
never do any serious coding without it anymore. I think it can even be
called state-of-the-art by now.
The benefits for a multi-platform open source project like MGOS with a
very complex code base seem to be quite obvious.

Kind Regards,
UV

senior consultant/architect