[mapguide-internals] MapGuide Open Source 2.1 - where is thecontinuous integration system ????

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Nov 13 17:19:44 EST 2008

Tom,

We should be careful to distinguish between continuous builds (a development tool) and packaging (a user service). IMHO, packaging is a much more critical issue at this point.

Autodesk's resourcing issues had come up a couple times, but the potential disavowal of responsibility for packaging is news to me, and I would imagine most of the users on the public mailing lists.

I think that by keeping the installer process closed source, Autodesk essentially committed to maintain the open source installer packages right from the start. Without installers you may have an open source application, but no chance of building a project/community.

The mgos community may be strong enough to take on the challenge at this point, but I feel that some support from Autodesk (even if its just a list of files, registry keys, conf file setting, permissions, etc) is critical to moving the packaging process out as a community responsibility. I don't have the visual studio expertise to create the setup project, but I would be happy to take on the role of package creation for new MGOS releases if I can get some help setting this up.

I don't know what to do about Linux packaging.  Without the adoption of the cmake build process, I have absolutely no interest in even looking at this.