[mapguide-internals] RE: Project Sponsorship

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 20:59:47 EST 2008

Generally speaking, aside from general sponsorship for the general
stuff (build infrastructure), one of the main things
where i see organisations being interested in sponsorship is very
targeted bug/feature development.

To take the example of a company or individual deciding for example
they really need the GDAL FDO provider fixed
and deciding they want to commit their own resources to fixing this,
they really need mentoring

The classic example was Frank Warmerdam putting his hand up to resolve
this bug and asking for assistance from
a mapguide developer. His requests went unanswered (AFAIKT) and this
issue remains unresolved.

A similiar example is the CMAKE build process which Helio was (is) working on

Currently, nearly all the development on Mapguide is being done via
Autodesk employees and as a result Autodesk
have a strong vested interest in the project, but this also forms a
barrier for external developers to get involved in the project.

Jason's idea of a portal manager, is being performed by the community
at them moment and that is working reasonably well.

What is really needed is a something like a 'development mentor /
champion' available within the Autodesk team who can
assist / guide external developers and capture this information along
the way, either via wiki articles or via the mailing list.

Making the build process simpler is critical, when a developer can
simply check the code out and build it and start hacking,
they are much more likely to actually start developing and
contributing code back to the project.

The current complexity of the build process means that a lot of people
start, getting stuck in build issues and loose interest.

http://how2map.blogspot.com/2008/11/mapguide-shaping-up.html

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Jason Birch <Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca> wrote:
> I'd prefer to work out the details before going to vote; two votes  will just slow down the process.
>
> Looking at the GDAL and OpenLayers examples, I believe that there are quite a few differences in what we could feasibly apply the funds toward at this point, primarily because of our developer/user mix.  However, some of the important tenets (PSC directs the use of funds, sponsors get full reporting on use of funds and feedback through annual questionairres, etc) feel right to me.  I also think that we should have a mechanism for sponsorship funds to be earmarked for specific PSC-approved projects, assuming that at some point we find developers within the community interested in undertaking this kind of work.
>
> Apart from the necessary infrastructure for continuous builds and installer packaging, why do we need sponsorship, goals and specifics?  I've got some thoughts, but I'd like to hear from everyone.
>
> Goals:
>  - Increase the level of community participation in the MapGuide development process
>  - Enhance the quality of the project's communications (announcements, tickets, release transparency, etc)
>  - Ensure that project is approachable by new users, especially in the areas of documentation, code samples, initial install experience, etc.
>
> Potential uses (examples only, actual PSC-approved expenditures may differ):
>  - Maintain project-specific infrastructure necessary to support a fully open development environment -- OSGeo takes care of things like Trac, SVN, and downloads very well for us, but seems to be under-resourced for supporting a continuous build framework, especially for projects such as ours which require strong Windows support.
>  - Partial funding for a portal manager, ensuring that tickets are followed up, email issues are referred to the Trac system where appropriate, new releases are tagged with best possible information on date, etc.
>  - Creation and maintenance of MapGuide installers/packages for a wider range of operating systems
>
> I'm sure there is much more, and maybe some of these aren't in sync with everyone's thinking.  There is also some thought to be given to what sponsors can expect from this, other than higher quality software and community recognition.
>
> Please let post to the group with your items, etc.  Clearly separate goals from potential uses, and ensure that the uses can be tied back to specific goals.  Once we get a bit of cohesiveness, this should all go in a wiki for collaborative editing.
>
> For reference:
>
> http://www.gdal.org/sponsorship.html
> http://openlayers.org/sponsorship/
>
> Jason