[mapguide-internals] MapGuide open source builds

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Oct 7 19:17:43 EDT 2008

I've reversed my opinion on this one...

While I think it's important that FDO/MapGuide build using Visual Studio
Express, I think it would be reasonable for merge module and installer
creation to require a non-free Visual Studio (I believe that Standard is
the lowest level, and includes all of the setup project support that
Professional has).  I'd imagine that most developers would be happy
running the server from its build location, and most serious Windows
developers probably be running at least Standard anyway.  This is a
reasonable compromise between InstallShield (ouch) and NSIS (no MSIs).

From: Jason Birch
Subject: RE: [mapguide-internals] MapGuide open source builds

While Visual Studio Pro may meet the project's needs for build/install,
I would personally prefer a system that used free tools.