[mapguide-internals] Motion: post MGOS 2.0.2

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Sep 9 17:06:12 EDT 2008

I am anxious to get 1.1 in everyones hands and I think it is pretty
darn stable since it has been reasonably well tested by the power
users already.  It does require a minor change in the templates
(replacing OpenLayers.String.translate with OpenLayers.i18n) and it is
not purely a bug fix release.

The biggest change was the upgrade of OpenLayers from 2.5 to 2.6 and
corresponding changes in the Fusion code to use OpenLayers functions
for most things we were using Prototype for before (Function.bind and
Class.create primarily).

One thing I am a bit worried about is that we'll end up skipping 1.1
in favour of a 1.2/2.0 version that includes a new version of Jx and
miscellaneous performance enhancements when MGOS goes to 2.1.

Given that 1.1 has already been moderately well tested in the field, I
feel the risk is fairly low to updating and am moderately comfortable
that folks won't have any problems.

But updating does break the release rules at least somewhat and could
put some people at risk if they have made copies of the fusion
templates and customized them (and who wouldn't want to do that!).

And +1 for the other stuff.

Cheers

Paul