[mapguide-internals] RE: EPSG:3785 or with CS-Map?

Bruce Dechant bruce.dechant at autodesk.com
Wed Apr 1 16:39:17 EDT 2009

Thanks!

From: mapguide-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mapguide-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Hugues Wisniewski
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:36 PM
To: MapGuide Internals Mail List
Subject: [mapguide-internals] RE: EPSG:3785 or  with CS-Map?

We just added this item to the CsMap maintenance list. There's no ETA concerning when this will be done though.
It's a matter of adding new definitions to the dictionaries and updating the csv mapper file.

>From Norm Olsen's input:

"The essence is here:

DATUM["Popular_Visualisation_Datum",
                SPHEROID["Popular Visualisation Sphere",6378137,0,AUTHORITY["EPSG","7059"]],
                TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],AUTHORITY["EPSG","6055"]
                ]

1> The SPHEROID is a sphere with the radius equal to the equatorial radius of WGS84 (and GRS80, they are the same).  Can be added to the ellipsoid dictionary. They gave it the name "Popular Visualisation Sphere".
2> The Datum is essentially WGS84, but not referenced to the WGS84 ellipsoid. A new datum definition could be defined which would reference this new ellipsoid. I believe it important to set the USE: specification to WGS84, so none of the standard datum code which deals with eccentricity (zero in this case) is executed.
We'll also want to add these specific names to the NameMapper table"

Hugues