[mapguide-internals] Version setting script - What about ANT

Martin Morrison martin.morrison at edsi.com
Wed Apr 8 08:09:40 EDT 2009

PERL???

-----Original Message-----
From: mapguide-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:mapguide-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of UV
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:23 AM
To: MapGuide Internals Mail List
Subject: Re: [mapguide-internals] Version setting script - What about ANT

I always thought java is like C++ without the need for a preprocessor
;-)  so I though its easy to read when you know C++.
But I have a very multi language background so I cant really judge this.

I encountered standalone java files  in a previous job and was surprised
how simple it is to just use it for simple tasks like this.
And a lot less cryptic than any other script language I know....

But my main point was to leverage the power of ant for such a task....
so the script (at your portable language choice) does the replacement on
a single file only...
Ant then parses the source tree and applies the little script everywhere....
I think this is a good investment into infrastructure.

Once you have used ant for building software the use of batch files
feels very limiting.
and ant is multiplatform
I think the multi-platform issue will become more of an issue over time.
But thats a call for a PSC decision and introducing ant for parts of the
build seems like a bigger project.

I am willing to make a proposal when you tell me what needs to be done....
The build process on the server still needs bit more work so its a good
time to play around a bit.

Cheers,
UV