[mapguide-internals] API Operation Version Confusion

Bruce Dechant bruce.dechant at autodesk.com
Mon Aug 17 15:51:13 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I would like to discuss the confusion on the API version information.

Currently, all of the APIs have an associated operation "VERSION". This "VERSION" hasn't been clearly defined and after looking at the latest code base we are using it inconsistently throughout the project.

Examples:
TestConnection

-          Operation version 1.0.0

-          MGOS Release 1.0

-
EnumerateUnmanagedData

-          Operation version 1.0.0

-          MGOS Release 1.2

DescribeSchema

-          Operation version 1.0.0

-          MGOS Release 1.0, but in MGOS Release 2.1  a new 3 parameter API signature was added along with keeping the old 2 parameter version

GetTile

-          Operation version 1.2.0

-          MGOS Release 1.2

RenderDynamicOverlay

-          Operation version 2.1.0

-          MGOS Release 1.0, but in MGOS Release 2.1  a new API signature was added along with keeping the old versions

>From the above examples it is not clear what operation "VERSION" naming scheme to use.

-          Is the operation "VERSION" for new APIs set to 1.0.0?

-          Or is the operation "VERSION" equal to the version of the MGOS Release?

-          What about APIs that have had only a signature change? What to use in this case?

As you can see we have not been following a well defined operation "VERSION" scheme and this is something we need to correct as it is confusing.

I would like to hear from the community on what they would like to see going forward as I would like to clear up the confusion :)

Thanks,
Bruce