[mapguide-internals] Adding JxLib to the basic viewer

Tom Fukushima tom.fukushima at autodesk.com
Tue Aug 18 16:56:50 EDT 2009

Hi,

If we were to add the JxLib to the basic viewer for its ability to do a nice hierarchical list view in some advanced UI for selection (so that you can choose which feature to select when several overlap) does anyone see any problems with this?

In particular, I am concerned about the size increase to the basic viewer.  The JxLib is about 250 KB compressed so it would basically double the download size of the basic viewer which currently sits at about 200KB.

For your convenience, here is the "perfect" download time for 250KB:
56.6 Kbps: 36s
256 Kbps: 8s
1,024 Kbps: 2s

Is the download size really a concern? If it is, are there ways to reduce the impact such as loading the JxLib lazily only when used (is this possible?) or extracting ony the hierarchical list part out?

I don't really follow the mapguide-users list so if someone wants to post and monitor this on that list, please do.

Thanks
Tom