[mapguide-internals] RFC 81 is ready for review

Dave Wilson dave.wilson at autodesk.com
Tue Aug 25 14:57:31 EDT 2009

Let me repost with some better clarification of points and concerns:

1) I had suggested based on preview requests that there be an additional highlight color so that users can select one of the features in the set and see this separate from the others. This would be done with an additional dynamic overlay. The proposed solution of checking and un-checking items in the tree to isolate a particular feature is less user friendly and requires more server rendering to redraw all the features minus any the user has unchecked. If the user could simply walk the tree using up/down arrows (or clicking a particlar node) and alternately redraw just the one feature they are on with an alternate highlight this would involve less processing. As well if there are many parent nodes with records underneath I think it's more of an awkward binary search disabling nodes/records trying to find just the one the user wants.

2) What restricts the number of features that can be selected and viewed using the Inspector? If a user is zoomed out and has selected 20,000 features can they use the Inspector? Is there a limit to prevent retrieving thousands of features and all their properties?

3) Are we going to return all the properties of each feature in the tree? If 20 or 30 features are enabled this won't fit into the tree in any readable form.

4) The RFC doesn't discuss how we got to this selection set. What if the selection is a result of a search or API request and multiple features are selected all over the map and aren't actually adjacent? What if not all the features are in view (in other words we didn't Zoom to Selection) Do we care? If we (or the programmer) didn't Zoom to Selection and all the features aren't visible at the current scale will we pan to the feature as the user interacts with them in the Inspector?

5) What if the selection set is a result of a search, but the layer isn't enabled at the current scale? Are there odd conditions where the selection set can include features whose layers aren't enabled in the legend or possibly their layer isn't enabled at this scale?

I get the impression the RFC is trying to handle a specific case where the user may have selected a small area in an effort to find a particular feature or at least uniquely identify the features in the selection set. I'm not sure it addresses how the selection set was actually created?

Regards,
Dave