[mapguide-internals] Future Development Options for Web Server Extensions and new High Performance Viewer

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Sat Dec 26 15:14:01 EST 2009

Carsten,

I see two different use cases. One, for a disconnected editor, where a
very thick client would be of great use. Two, for a slightly thicker
client for higher performance. Server load is, I suppose, somewhat of
a concern, but from my perspective isn't really critical... You can
always throw more hardware at a task :)

The first of these would require substantial re-implementation of the
mapguide interfaces ( or a non-direct port where mapguide is combines
with a bunch of other modules ) and has its own value proposition.

The second of these may be able to provide benefits from some changes
to the mapagent to output an optimized format for the client. Have a
look at the GeoREST sample that haris built using KML output to render
in openlayers. Its not perfect, but its a step in the right direction
I think. Basically GeoREST is rendering a vector format for
consumption by the client.

Finding the right balance of what to keep server side and what to
re-implement on the client may be difficult, but I think we could see
considerable benefit from looking at each layer.

Note, I like talking about this stuff, but don't have an oar in the
water on this particular item yet, so take what I say for what its
worth :)