[mapguide-internals] Future Development Options for Web Server Extensions and new High Performance Viewer

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Sat Dec 26 15:24:56 EST 2009

I hope what I said earlier wasn't taken as a flame; I don't want to
limit discussion by taking a particularly strong stance one way or the
other.

I have a particular aversion to plugins in general after years of
supporting the 6.5 plugins on public computers (in uncontrolled
environments, novice users, support-by-voice) with only about a 75%
resolution rate. Java has given me fewer headaches than activex, but
there have still been some. But, as you say, this was on old-tech
Java. I don't have a lot of experience supporting flash, so maybe its
the same story.  All of this just by way of explaining my reaction :)

I agree that as long as we continue to support ie6 on our existing
clients, that it doesn't make sense to do so on new ones.

I have often thought that our Java support (app and installer) is
sub-optimal, and I'm sure that java devs would appreciate being thrown
a bone :)

Jason