[mapguide-internals] Bounderies between mapguide Server andClients

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Feb 20 12:43:25 EST 2009

Apart from initial development costs and maintenance issues, the main
problem that I see would be keeping the APIs in sync.  There is
considerable benefit in being able to do the same thing using the same
(or similar) methods across all of the APIs.  The risk of dedicated APIs
getting out of sync as far as capabilities go is considerable,
especially for APIs like Java which don't seem to be getting much open
source love.

Despite this I agree that, given unlimited resources, dedicated APIs for
each language would be desirable.  In fact, Kenneth's "Maestro API"
isn't an API to Maestro, it's a native C# API to MapGuide, so there's at
least one example of a community effort to develop a language-specific
API.